Friday 18 March 2011

I Have Seen the Future and the Future is Flat!

So the dust is starting to settle on the much hyped iPad2 launch. As with all things Apple there are those who immediately love it and those, like me, who think what’s all the fuss about? After all, tablet PCs have been around for quite a while. However, Apple’s incursion into the market, with their flare for design and ability to make the iPad the “cool” gadget to have, opens up an intriguing possibility for the future of IT.

The iPad may have some flaws in its capabilities when it comes to replacing my notepad (see the ComputerWorld article Six reasons you want an iPad, six reasons you don’t  for a far better critique than I could give), but it is a whole lot cooler than the traditional, slightly clunky, tablets I’m familiar with. Which means that in a couple of years or less, I could have a slim, ergonomic device that provides a simulated on screen keyboard and display, is light and easy to carry around and delivers as much, if not more than my notebook. What’s more, the advances in mobile networking mean that it is always connected to the internet.
It’s that combination of always on and highly practical that excites me.

You see the major shifts in technology more often than not arise out of the collision of trends rather than a single new innovation, and there is another trend that is rapidly growing in importance in the way organisations deliver their applications, Cloud Computing. At its simplest level, Cloud Computing delivers applications using internet technologies to a web browser. No need for locally installed software, local servers and everything that goes with traditional applications. Large companies are building their own “cloud” infrastructures to deliver internal applications on web technologies, and there are more and more commercial offerings like Salesforce.com’s CRM solution. Initiatives such as GoogleDocs and Microsoft’s Office365 are starting to deliver word processors, spreadsheets and presentation software using this model.

So if I don’t need any special software on my PC/iPad to get all the applications I want; my device of choice uses mobile network technology to ensure I’m connected wherever I go at a decent speed; and all my applications are accessed using the internet, then why do I need any other infrastructure? Why do I need a desktop hardwired to a server in the office? Why do I need local WiFi? I just get out my iPad (or equivalent) wherever I am (office, train, home, beach) and I’m fully operational!

What this really means is that my need for lots of infrastructure, network, local servers etc. goes away along with all the cost associated with it!

The future? I’m sure there are a hundred and one issues to overcome in getting there - I could rattle off half a dozen without trying (rural 3G coverage anyone?) - but as a model, for me, it’s compelling and I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment